Hello again, Sam here with another instalment of the ArcArmy Challenge...
The weekend Arc40k tickets went on sale I started making my display board, this week I reached an important milestone... the display board is ready for paint!
Early on I stumbled upon this image which became my inspiration for the display board. I loved the setting and thought it captured exactly what I was looking for...
Korvosi, once the Knight World of Kolossi that was home to House Raven, is now a Fallen Knight World of mist and shadow, reshaped by the hand of the Dark Master Be'lakor, the first Daemon Prince.
Be'lakor unleashed a wave of darkness upon the planet, assailed by dreams of madness, doubt, and hordes of Daemons the situation collapsed when corrupted Knights turned upon their lords.
The planet fell, and the surviving elements of House Raven became servants of their Dark Lord.
Structurally, there are lots of levels and arches which I can easily recreate. A bit of height is good for showing off models. The other key elements I want to capture is the tragic destruction and atmospherically lighting... maybe not the DJ Decks, we will see!
I started off by building the structure using some old kitchen kickboards and foam. I used a cheap hot wire cutter that I got off Amazon and glued them together using liquid nails from Bunnings.
I played around with the positioning a bit and also bounced ideas off Duane Wood from District: Terra.
If you have been to Arc40k before you have probably seen some of his work before.
I recommend having a look at his facebook page if this is something that interest you https://www.facebook.com/DistrictTerra/
Anyhow, we decided the stairs took up too much room and decided to remove them.
Next I wanted to add some texture so I started hacking into the foam with the hot wire cutter again. I printed out a House Korvax symbal and used it as a template for the main centre peace and delicately cut around it. I also added some rocks and sand locking it in with a wash of watered down PVA glue. Im not sure if this worked and i got some bubbles later on but I did it because I was worried about the black spray melting the foam.
I then made my own texture paint using a some old wall paint and Coir (coconut husk), a tip I got from Squidmar Miniatures when they built the Tau Manta Diorama https://youtu.be/YMoxENbwAU0.
I added about 50 skulls, texture paint and some more details then prepped it for paint. 3 cans later...
So far so good...
I have still a lot I want to do but its getting there. Structurally, I think I've achieved what I set to do. Now I need to add some colours and create some atmospherically lighting.
I planning on doing this by adding a background and OSL. Also, it needs more skulls!